A collaborative web space for TAL students enrolled in E342, fall semester 2008, to process information, develop new ways of thinking, and create a community of learners using new technologies.

17 November 2008

Beliefs and Understandings Concepts

Methods
Guided Reading - students read at their level or an appropriate level for them, uses leveled texts, begins teacher-directed then pushes student toward independence, teaches comprehension, story structure, and phonics skills, small group, groups based on reading levels and reading needs.

Reading Workshop - Freedom, student choice, mini-lesson (10-15), independent practice (30 - 40), sharing (10-15), Mini-lessons focus on one thing taught explicitly, mini-lessons: management, reading skills, "literacy gossip" - why do authors do things they way they do?, teacher is conferencing with students during independent reading time to discuss how they are progressing as readers and monitoring individual progress, sharing allows for reteaching and to hear information in another voice / vocabulary.

Writer's Workshop - EXPLICIT (you show them exactly how you want them to do it), mini-lesson (10-15), independent practice (30 - 40), sharing (10-15), freedom, choice, mini-lessons: management, skills, writer's craft, teacher conferencing, conferences focus on ideas and how they are progressing as writers, sharing allows for reteaching and to hear information in another voice / vocabulary.

Working with Words - deals with teaching letters, their sounds, and combinations of
letters and sounds, using word walls, name brand phonics, cloze activities (find the missing word), making words / word building, WORDO, explicit embedded into other activities, subjects, etc.

Concepts
Strategy Instruction - Why spend time on strategy instruction? Why is this important?
Connections and Background - making a personal / text / world connection / response to the text
Questioning - answering questions through reading, using reading to evoke more questions
Visualizing - creating pictures of events in your head based on what is being read / understood, etc.
Determining Importance - what is the most important idea in the text?
Summarizing and Synthesizing - putting into your own words what was said in the text, paraphrasing what was said in the text, putting pieces of information together to make something new.

Critical Literacy - rethinking our ideas of what text is (happy meal toy), analyzing texts to understand how and why they work.
Fluency - poems as a way of instruction, kiddos read with a regular pace and rhythm, intonation, sight words (kids who know more sight words tend to be more fluent readers).
Informational Texts - books that convey factual information - how do we engage readers in these texts?
Visual Literacy - using images as text.
Book Clubs - groups of children reading a common text and engaged in discussions around that text.
Literacy Centers - spaces where children are engaged in activities independently that allow them to practice literacy concepts. Usually used when teachers are engaged in guided reading practice.
Technology - where does it make sense for kids to use technology in the classroom?

12 comments:

jessica said...

Thank you for posting these, they will be very helpful when writing my beliefs and understanding paper over thanksgiving break! Have a great one everyone!!

Devon Mundy said...

After we reviewed in class what we learned throughout the semester, I realized how my beliefs about reading concepts has changed. I have learned many concpets that I want to implent when I am a teacher. This will be helpful when I am writing my paper over break.

ashsipes said...

I look forward to doing my revised version of the beliefs and understandings paper to see how my views have changed. I think this will be a fun way of assessing the past sememster as well as looking into the future and techinques for our own classrooms. Have a good break!
- Ashley

Kelli said...

I am so glad we went over all of these topics for the paper. It will be very helpful when writing the second beliefs and understandings paper. It helped to get me thinking and I realized how much my thoughts and beliefs have changed since the beginning of the semester.

MRS.S said...

After revising my Beliefs and Statements paper, I can also see how much my ideas have changed. It was a little overwhelming trying to incorporate all of the new methods we have learned this semester--especially finding all of the readings. I noticed that our class discussions really helped me the most when refining my ideas!

Winnie said...

Thank you for going over these in class. It was a good review over all the topics we have covered so far, these will be very helpful when I write my beliefs and understanding paper. After doing the review, I have realized that some of my beliefs have changed while some have stayed the same. For those that have stayed the same, I have learned many great techniques to help me teach them to my future students.

Jessica Chesher said...

Thank you for posting this. After reading it I found it very helpful. I now have a better understanding of what to write in my paper. I also thought it was nice to be able to write in class the other day. It gave me time to start on my paper and it is less time that I have to work on it at home. Have a good Thanksgiving Break!

Samantha Leone said...

This is very helpful in remembering everything we did this semester. I learned many things that will me in my future classroom. Have a great thanksgiving.

Lauren said...

I am really glad that we went over this list during class, and that you posted it. It really brought all of the ideas and concepts we covered over the past few weeks together. I can now see how everything relates, and it has also reminded me of some of the things I forgot from the first weeks of class. I will defiantly be using this to help me with my paper!

Carly Friedland said...

Going over all of this in class has been very helpful in writing my paper. It helped me to really see everything we have gone over in class; I didn't realize how much I had actually learned! My views on teaching reading and writing have definitely changed this semester and I have learned a lot about how I want reading and writing to look in my future classroom.

jessica said...

Thank you again for posting these. It was very helpful in writing my beliefs and understanding paper. Have a great Thanksgiving!!

Kristin Rzepka said...

Thank you for posting these snippits about each of the main topics. I missed a few in class, but found it very helpfull to have handy when I was finishing up my paper. Looking at the list of things on the blog and on my paper I realized how much we really learned so far in the class! Thanks for being such a great teacher!! Im sorry this post is late, I got stuck in Memphis coming home from Italy! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving break!